Pausha Putrada Ekadashi is a day of high importance in the Hindu religion. It is known for its auspicious and valuable significance. Devotees of Lord Vishnu observe fast and worship Lord Vishnu during the month of Pausha. On this specific day, the fruits of devotion increase multifold. The people who engage in prayers and do good deeds on this particular day are believed to have their desires fulfilled. The Pausha Putrada Ekadashi falls on the 11th day of shukla paksha. The devotees should do the pooja, observe fast and do good deeds on this day. Here is the detailed insight into Pausha Putrada Ekadashi, giving you all the necessary information, you need to know.
How to fast on Pausha Putrada Ekadashi to receive the grace of lord Vishnu?
• According to religious Hindu texts, the devotee should sleep early the previous night and wake up before the sunrise on the day of the Ekadashi. Right after waking up, he should remember Lord Vishnu and be grateful for his life. This should be followed by meditation for Lord Vishnu during the early morning.
• On this day, the devotee should take a shower and wear clean and simple white clothes.
• Next, the devotee should visit the temple in his home and bow down to the idol of Lord Vishnu placed in the temple.
• Then the idol of lord Vishnu should be bathed with the pure water and afterward covered with a red cloth or a yellow cloth. At this time, devotees also tie a red cloth around a Kalash and worship it.
• Then the devotee should light dhoop in front of the idol of Lord Vishnu and offer prayers to the idol followed by singing the Vishnu aarti. It is better if all members of the family join the devotee for the aarti.
• After worshipping, sweets and fruits are offered to the Lord Vishnuand the prasad is distributed among the members of the family.
• The devotee observes a fast from morning till evening during the entire day. In the evening, the devotee lights a diya in the Tulsi plant, and prays for the good health and happiness of the family.
• In the evening, the devotee should visit the temple to please Lord Vishnu and listen to the Vrat Katha. After the Katha is done, he can consume fruits and satvik food like khichadi and kheer etc.
• The complete ritual comes to an end when on the second day the devotee gives food to the Brahmins and makes donations in the name of Lord Vishnu.
Benefits of observing the fast during Pausha Putrada Ekadashi -
• The women can observe this fast for the good health, success, and well-being of the children in the home.
• The couples can observe this fast for the good health and well-being of the entire family.
• All the people who observe fast on this day please the lord Vishnu who helps them to attend success in the worldly causes.
Things to avoid during Pausha Putra Ekadashi -
• A devotee should talk politely with his family members, neighbours, and other people. He should not think bad of others at all.
• The devotee should eat only Satvik food during the fasting and refrain from eating any kind of Tamsik food like non-vegetarian food, onion and garlic etc.
• The devotee should not pluck leaves from the holy Tulsi plant on this day. It is said to be a special day to pray to the Tulsi plant on the day of Ekadashi.
• The devotees should chant the Vishnu mantra throughout the day. He should refrainfrom causing disputes, argue, fight, be angry, or steal from other people on this day as it is considered a sin.
Pausha Putrada Ekadashi's (Vrat Katha) : The story -
On one fine day, the King Yudhishtar asked Lord Krishna to tell him the story of Putrada Ekadashi. Lord Krishna narrated the story of Suketuman, the king of Bhadravati. He was one of the greatest Kings ever and served the public with compassion. Even though he did everything religiously, he was not blessed with the son. According to religious Hindu texts, it is very important to have a son who could take care of the parents in the old age and take over the work of his father after death. The king believed that he will not be happy in this life or afterlife without a son.
Slowly the King's health started declining and he became depressed. One day, he was walking alone in the forest. He found saints who lived near a lake. He shared his suffering with the saints and requested them to provide solution. The saints were happy with his devotion and his kindness so they told him a way to end his misery. They told the King about Shukla paksha Ekadashi and how to observe the fast on this day. The King came back and told the queen about it. They both religiously followed the rituals and observed the fast. After some time, the queen got pregnant and they were blessed with a son. This was a time of great joy for the king, queen, and the common public.
Lord Krishna told Yudhishtar that if any person observes the fast of Shukla paksha Ekadashi and prays to Lord Vishnu with great devotion, he will be blessed with all of his desires.